Disclaimer – The following post is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease or sickness. Please use caution if any parts apply to your specific situation and contact a health care professional for further advice.
Another week another dollar. That’s what I always say. As the saying goes, “the older you get, the longer the days last and the quicker the years fly by”. Thanks for tuning in to another post by yours truly. A quick shorty to get something off my chest.
Also side note, it is with deepest respect and appreciation for her life that I report that my 107 year old cousin Mabel passed away last week. About 3 years ago I visited her and she told me she was ready to go because she was “tired of going to the funerals of the kids of her friends”. That is a problem I don’t think I will ever have in my life… Rest in Peace.
Please enjoy! As always, please follow, like, share, complain, comment, message me, reply, give me a suggestion for my next topic.
Let me start this post with some super important facts.
- I am not a doctor.
- I am not a scientist.
- I am not a contagious disease expert.
- I am not over 65 years old with health problems (well I guess POTS, but that isn’t a risk factor for catching Covid-19).
- I am not a liberal or a conservative. Politics are important because they decide a lot of important things. But I can’t say I am proud of everything either side stands for. Therefore, consider me an independent. Kind of like the independence this country won in the revolutionary war! In fact, just to make things very clear where I stand, I voted for Trump in 2016 and Biden in 2020.
Ok now that I’ve covered that. I think restaurants having to close down completely during this pandemic is bonkers. I have done ZERO scholastic research. So maybe the people in charge know things I don’t. But I would like to give my top 3 reasons why DOING THINGS is important.
- THIS IS AMERICA. To me that means we are free. This is important to remember because what that means is WE DO NOT HAVE AN EARTHLY KING (I say earthly because Jesus Christ is our King and if He told me to stay out of restaurants I wouldn’t question it. Done). If people are getting sick at restaurants (which so far I have read little evidence of), and lots of people are dying because they associated with people that have gone to restaurants (which from my understanding there are not), then that seems like a situation where we need to recommend to the public not to go to restaurants. But that isn’t the case. I live in Washington where currently most restaurants cannot meet indoors (more and more exceptions are coming along). But over in Idaho they can with limits. Servers wear masks, tables are spaced, etc. What if businesses got to choose to what extent they handled Covid, and then the public could decide based on health guidelines which places they wanted to have a meal. I think that sounds more like America to me. I personally would still go to restaurants, but only the ones that took Covid seriously.
- OUR MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS IT. I wrote an earlier blog post about the health anxiety I suffered from during this time. I am doing lots better. One of the changing factors for me in my recovery was that I decided to stop being afraid. *That being said, I respect the HELL out of this virus and you best believe I am washing my hands and wearing a mask everywhere I go*. For 29 year old me, healthy-ish as could be, in my prime and ready to live life, the mental burden of Covid-19 might just be worse than the virus itself. Be safe. Be smart. But we have got to allow some things we can do in public. I won’t list any statistics on mental health during this pandemic because I am not into doing lots of research. This blog is 100% my opinion haha. And my opinion is let me wear a mask and go to the local brewery to have a drink with my other covid conscious friends and family.
- The Bible. I consider the Bible to be our playbook for how we are supposed to live this life. (Some of you are not believers, but just hear me out). The Bible (and specifically Jesus) teaches us about an order that we refer to as “The Great Commission”. Per Wikipedia (my 100% factual and never wrong source), the Great Commission is the “instruction of the resurrected Jesus Christ to his disciples to spread the gospel to all the nations of the world”. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO THIS IF WE CAN’T LEAVE OUR HOMES FOR A WHOLE YEAR. The Bible has about 1200 pages (depending on version) so there are many other lessons to be discovered. One of which is “Love thy neighbor like thyself”. If you aren’t wearing a mask in public right now, that seems pretty selfish and anti-loving to me. So what to take of all of this? We need GUIDELINES on how to DO THINGS responsibly during this time. Closing down pizza hut isn’t going to help Aunt Martha get to heaven.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Please get the vaccine, wear a mask for the next couple of months, and go out and support local businesses to the full extent of the law.
Thanks for reading! Please contact me for any specific topics, questions you want answered, or reviews you want!
Jarod Gunning – Dude with POTS.